German weekly, founded by Julius Fürst, and published in Leipsic from Jan. 4, 1840, to June, 1851. Among its collaborators were Jost, Carmoly, Chajes, Letteris, Chwolson, Slonimsky, Frankel, Graetz, Jellinek, and Luzzatto. The periodical was divided into two parts, the first being devoted to the communal life of the Jews, and the second, a supplement entitled "Literaturblatt des Orients," to their history and literature. The first part was discontinued Jan. 4, 1851, on account of the passage of a new press law in Saxony. The editor promised, however, to continue publishing the literary supplement, which was suspended five months later, and to enlarge it, but he failed to do so. The general object of "Der Orient" was to promote the knowledge of the history of the Jews and to improve their condition by means of sweeping reforms.