JewishEncyclopedia.com

The unedited full-text of the 1906 Jewish Encyclopedia
- Phrase search: "names of god"
- Exclude terms: "names of god" -zerah
- Volume/Page: v9 p419
- Diacritics optional: Ḥanukkah or hanukkah
- Search by Author: altruism author:Hirsch
search tips & recommendations
CHÂTEAU-THIERRY – Chief town of the arrondissement of the same name in the department of Aisne, France. At Château-Thierry, as in general throughout Champagne, the seigniors of the country were favorably disposed toward the Jews. The counts of...
CHATTANOOGA – See Tennessee.
CHATTELS – In English and American law property is divided into two kinds: real or landed, and personal or chattels; in Continental law, into immovable and movable. Jewish law speaks of "ḳarḳa'ot" (ground) and "miṭṭalṭelin" (movables)....
CHATZKIN, ISAAC ANDREYEVICH – Russian physician; born 1832; died at Odessa June, 1902. He settled in that city in 1869, and practised there for more than thirty years. In 1870 he became a member of the Medical Society of Odessa and a corresponding member of...
CHAUSSY – District town in the government of Mohilev, Russia. The Jewish community of Chaussy dates from the seventeenth century, as appears from a charter granted to the Jews Jan. 11, 1667, by Michael Casimir Pacz, castellan of Wilna,...
CHAUTAUQUA SOCIETY, THE JEWISH – A society formed in the United States for "the dissemination of knowledge of the Jewish religion by fostering the study of its history and literature,giving popular courses of instruction, issuing publications, establishing...
CHAVES – City in Portugal, which in the fourteenth century had a fairly large Jewish community, and an "aula," or school, "in which the Law was expounded by the rabbis." This school was subject to a special tax. Before the expulsion of...
CHAVES – Jewish-Portuguese family that derived its name from its native place of Chaves in Portugal; members of it are found in Amsterdam and London.A. de Chaves: Painter at Amsterdam in 1700.Aaron de Chaves: Edited in Amsterdam, in...
CHAVILLO – See Ḥabillo.
CHAYYIM; CHAYYUG – See Ḥayyim; Ḥayyug.
CHAZAK – See Forti, John.
CHAZAN – See Ḥazzan.
CHAZANOWICZ, JOSEPH – Russian physician, and founder of the Jewish National Library at Jerusalem; born at Goniondz, government of Grodno, Russia, Oct. 22, 1844; son of Aaron Chazanowicz. After finishing his studies at the Jewish school and at the...
CHAZANUTH – See Ḥazzanut.
CHAZARS – A people of Turkish origin whose life and history are interwoven with the very beginnings of the history of the Jews of Russia. The kingdom of the Chazars was firmly established in most of South Russia long before the foundation...
CHEBAR – Name of a Babylonian river or canal, by the side of which Ezekiel "saw visions" (Ezek. i. 1, 3; iii. 15, 23; x. 15 et seq.). The Hebrew "nahar" ( ), usually rendered "river," was evidently used also for "canal" (= Babylonian...
CHECHELNIK – Town in the government of Podolia, Russia, having (1898) a population of about 7,000, including 1,967 Jews. Their principal occupation is commerce; but 352 are engaged in various handicrafts, and 96 are journeymen. About 200...
CHECHERSK – Town in the government of Mohilev, Russia, with a population (in 1898) of 2,819, including 1,692 Jews. The latter are principally engaged in commerce, but 323 follow various handicrafts. Of these 158 own shops, 60 are...
CHEDORLAOMER – Biblical Data: Name of a king of Elam (Gen. xiv. 1), who made conquests as far west as Canaan and exercised supremacy over its southeastern part. After paying tribute to him for twelve years, the five local kings, or princes,...
CHEESE – The curd of milk run into molds and allowed to coagulate. This article of food was known to the ancient Hebrews. Three expressions seem at least to indicate that various kinds and forms of cheese were in use: 1. "Gebinah" (Job...
CHELEBI, RAPHAEL JOSEPH – See Raphael Joseph of Aleppo.
CHELLUS – Place mentioned in Judith i. 9 as lying before Kadesh and the River of Egypt. Reland ("Palæstina ex Monumentis Veteribus Illustrata," p. 717) is probably correct in identifying it with the city of Elusa (according to the Targum,...
CHELM – Town in the government of Kovno, Russia. It has a population of about 4,200, all of whom, with the exception of about 300, are Jews. Most of them are engaged in mercantile pursuits, only 549 being artisans. The town has a...
CHELM, EPHRAIM B. JOSEPH – See Ephraim b. Joseph Chelm.
CHELM, SOLOMON B. MOSES – See Solomon b. Moses Chelm.