DIENA (DAYYENA), AZRIEL BEN SOLOMON:(Redirected from DAYYENA.)
Rabbi at Sabbionetta; died 1536. He was a disciple of Nathaniel Trabotto, and is mentioned with respect by R. Meïr Katzenellenbogen. Azulai claims to have seen two volumes of his responsa—perhaps those referred to in "Magazin," ii. 16. MS. 911 in the Bodleian collection contains Diena's notes on
The veneration in which Diena was held may be seen from the elegies published at his death, one of which was by Abraham of Pisa, and two others by Samuel b. Moses Anav. His son's name was David (Nepi-Ghirondi, "Toledot Gedole Yisrael," p. 75).
- Kaufmann, in Rev. Et. Juives, xxx. 304, xxxi. 65, xxxviii. 277;
- Löwenstein, ib. xxxi. 120;
- Steinschneider, Cat. Bodl. No. 7821;
- Mose, Antologia, vi. 53, 134;
- Gedalya ibn Yaḥya, Shalshelet ha-Ḳabbalah, p. 64a;
- Nepi-Ghirondi, Toledot Gedole Yisrael, pp. 38, 40;
- Eisenstadt-Wiener, Da'at Ḳedoshim, App., ii. 47, 77, 78;
- Benjacob, Oẓar ha-Sefarim, p. 560, No. 142;
- Azulai, Shem ha-Gedolim, i. 77.