German gynecologist; born at Warsaw July 16, 1848. He studied at the universities of Breslau, Würzburg, and Berlin, graduating from the last-named in 1870 (M.D.). He served through the Franco-Prussian war (1870-71) as assistant surgeon. From 1872 to 1874 he was assistant at the gynecological hospital of the University of Breslau, where he became privat-docent (1874). In 1876 he removed to Berlin, and became a member of the medical faculty of its university; in 1893 he received the title of professor; and in 1902 he was appointed assistant professor. In 1892, in conjunction with his brother Theodor, he opened a private gynecological hospital.
Landau has taken an active interest in the political affairs of the German capital. He has been alderman for a number of years, and a member of the city board of hospitals. Among Landau's works are: "Die Wanderniere der Frauen," Berlin, 1881; "Die Wanderleber und der Hängebauch der Frauen," ib. 1882; "Die Vaginale Radicaloperation: Technik und Gesch." (with Theodor Landau), ib. 1896; "Anatomische und Klinische Beiträge zur Lehre von der Myomen am Weiblichen Sexualapparat," Berlin and Vienna, 1899. His brother, Theodor Landau (b. Breslau May 22, 1861; M. D., Göttingen, 1885), is also a gynecologist, and has practised in Berlin since 1891.
- Pagel, Biog. Lex. Vienna, 1901.