Small town in the government of Minsk, Russia; it was in existence in the thirteenth century. The census of 1897 gives it a population of 8,446, including 4,764 Jews. Market-gardening is a common occupation among the latter. There are 650 Jewish artisans and 110 day-laborers. It has a Talmud Torah (120 pupils), and Jewish day-schools for boys (43 pupils) and girls (58 pupils). The charitable institutions include a dispensary, a gemillat ḥesed, a linat ha-ẓedeḳ, etc. There are eight synagogues. The town suffered severely from fire in 1897.