Russian city in the government of Kovno. It has (1897) a total population of 6,370, of whom 4,277 are Jews. Among the latter are 445 artisans and 48 day-laborers; 60 pupils receive instruction in the Talmud Torah, 240 in the thirty ḥadarim, and 18 in the private Jewish school (opened 1897). Among the charitable institutions are a biḳḳur ḥolim and a loan association for aiding poor Jews. There are in the town one synagogue and five houses of prayer.