Small town in the government of Chernigov, Russia. In 1898 it had 1,344 Jewish inhabitants in a population of 5,166. Most of them were engaged in mercantile pursuits; while 258 followed various handicrafts. The prevailing trade is tailoring, in which 102 Jews are engaged. Besides, there are 22 Jewish day-laborers and 75 persons who earn their livelihood in the local cigarette, tar, and chair factories.
The Jewish charitable institutions consist of a hospital for the poor, a home for the aged, and a few similar establishments. The educational needs of the Jewish community are supplied by 12 "ḥedarim" (136 pupils) and a Talmud-Torah (28 pupils).