Village in the government of Kherson, Russia. In 1897 it had a population of 13,276, of whom about 5,000 were Jews. A considerable number of the latter are engaged in tobacco growing, while many others are occupied in wine-making and fruit-growing. Dried fruits and tobacco are the chief articles of trade. There are 940 artisans, 186 day-laborers, and a number engaged in agriculture and bee-keeping. There are the usual charitable institutions in the village, and a hospital and dispensary. There are also a Talmud Torah with 130 pupils, a private school with 580 Jewish pupils, and 18 ḥadarim.